The holidays are the best time of year to relax, reflect and enjoy a great cocktail. We picked up Aviation Gin and Volstead Vodka from House Spirits Distillery to mix up some of our favorite classic drinks that never go out of style.
Follow the steps below to make yourself the master mixologist of your friends and family and keep everyone happily buzzed into 2014.
1.5 ounces sweet vermouth
1.5 ounces Campari
1.5 ounces Aviation Gin
- Pour sweet vermouth, Campari, and gin into an old-fashioned glass with ice cubes
- Stir well
- Garnish with an orange slice
2 ounces Aviation Gin
Dash of lemon or lime juice
½ teaspoon superfine sugar
1 egg white
- Separate the egg white
- Pour the gin, lemon juice, sugar and egg white into a cocktail shaker filled with ice
- Shake vigorously. More than usual to ensure the egg white is mixed thoroughly with other ingredients
- Strain into a chilled highball glass with ice cubes
- Top off with soda water
- Garnish with a cherry
Classic Vodka Martini:
2.5 ounces Volstead Vodka
½ ounce dry vermouth
- Pour vodka and vermouth into a mixing glass filled with ice cubes
- Stir for 30 seconds
- Garnish with 3 olives
Extra tip – remember to keep your vermouth chilled. It’s a wine, not a spirit! If you’ve had a bad martini experience at a bar, it’s probably because the vermouth went bad on the shelf.
3 ounces Aviation Gin
1 ounce Volstead Vodka
½ ounce Lillet (normally the clear variety of Lillet is used, but we empowered ourselves to freestyle).
- Pour vodka, gin and Lillet into cocktail shaker filled with ice
- Shake or stir. If you stir properly, and long enough, the drink will be just as cold, and not as diluted.
- Garnish with a lemon peel
Photography by Andrew Lee
Mixology by Michael Ardelean